Monday, February 15, 2010

First there was poop and then there was Dad!




PS. Thank Aunt Cathy and Uncle Dick for the little red car, it's a hit!

POOP!
How does poop win every time? Because it happens so often. Little Gus is now 4 months old and he is pooping about once a day. Seems normal enough for him and well yesterday he didn't poop. But at 3 am when he was laying next to me fussing about dried boogers... he let it rip, and not a little either, explosive, and somehow just outside his diaper too. I think dad helped put that night time diaper on... hmm. Gets better... he does it again during today.. and sure enough outside the outfit.. who changed him last? Guess... no really guess... dad. Yup. I am not even going to comment on his diapering skills though... it's not worth the fuss.

More on Dad.
He's outside installing some high tech HD radio device so I can listen to the radio without the crackle. Not sure what I did to merit a new car radio receiver, but ok, I will take it and revel in the fact that he loves me and this is his weird way of showing it (that and the lovely Norman Love chocolates I got for Valentines).

So speaking of dads and babies, I tend to see a lot of families having dad, get up to do a feeding once a night to help with mom.. but how do you do it without waking dad? We co sleep most of the time but I try to get him in his bed some times but rather than hear him cry and cry and fuss many times I will just put him in bed with us and problem solved, he nurses and goes to sleep.

Now it's not for a lack of milk in the fridge (I seem to produce about 5 extra ounces a day that the little man doesn't need), but eh.. I just don't know how to ask dad to either do more with the baby or do more in the house, but that he can't have his cake and eat it too and have me serve him dinner every night... I might as well give up and buy him a silver platter... I love him and I guess this is how I show him I love him? (think of the tone that Anchorman uses when he's talking to his dog Baxter).

OK well anyways, too much love to argue, we both seem to avoid any confrontation because I am overly defensive and Neil just doesn't like talking about things when they seem to come up. Not sure how to better communicate but I guess Men and Women do have different ways of talking... is that to be overcome? Or should men go back to being the hunters and women return to the huts with babes and stick to foraging?

Don't get me wrong, dad is super cute with the little man, I just don't know how to better balance it all. Maybe I am trying and or expecting too much.

Being a working mom.
Sucks. Period. People look at you differently from the day you announce your pregnancy. They think that all of a sudden you plan on being less motivated on purpose and that you will never earn your keep again. But then the other mothers in the work place seem to let you "in" to the new club of photo sharing and story swapping. It's so weird, but with so many women in the work place it makes it slightly easier. In the Navy I think so far it's been a bit of a challenge and when the newness wears off and people begin to forget, then it will be easier for me again. Right now I think I am under such scrutiny. I already feel that my next evaluation is already set in motion based on my family. It's weird. I also find myself calmer at work, but that might be the oxytocin doing it's thing, since I am still breast feeding exclusively, I still get the pumping high.

So I have been trying to attend www.meetups.com groups (Hip mama's) but seems to me that there is too many stay at home moms that would rather do things during the day, which I get, and wish I could stay at home too. But I was thinking of starting my own meet up... ambitious working moms of Annapolis Unite!

Click here to take my Online Survey

Please take my survey....

1 comment:

HarmSkills said...

yeah dolling out the mom/dad duties + husband /wife duties is hard. Esp with BF'ing since there are limits to what dad can do. It took us a while to get in our groove, but basically I did/do all the night feedings and hope that Gav doesnt wake up (waste of resources in my opinion) BUT when Connor wakes for the day (and sometimes its early) Gav is on duty no questions asked. INCLUDING THE WEEKENDS. During the week, Gav then gets me up at 730/745 so he can get ready for work. And occasionally, when I feel well rested, I let him sleep in. Thats what worked for us... not saying do that exactly, but it takes a while to figure it out, what works, what is fair... good luck!
oh i also love reading about Gus's expoloding poop! so funny!